Should you choose a soft or firm mattress?
Are you trying to figure out whether you should get a soft or firm mattress? We’re going to address this with a few of the common questions we get asked alongside our answers. This can help you determine the best match for you.
We’d also be happy to help you make the right choice in the store. So, please stop in and we can answer any additional questions you may have.
1. Is a firm mattress better for your back? Not necessarily. The main thing you want to find when you have a bad back is a mattress that will keep your back straight. It’s OK to have a very soft mattress as long as it keeps your spine straight. So, you basically want a mattress that has good lumbar support.
2. What type of mattress do you recommend for a heavy person? This is another situation where good lumbar support is important. High-density foam is also helpful, such as latex, memory foam or gel foam. A high coil count is also recommended.
3. What type of mattress is best for side sleepers? We suggest not getting something that is extra firm. You want to instead, stay on the softer side with individual coils or an all-foam mattress. Lumbar support is a needed feature.
4. What should I do if my partner likes a firm mattress and I like a soft one? We recommend getting something right in the middle, between soft and firm. You can also get a split king so that each person can get what they like.
5. What’s the most supportive mattress and what’s best for spine alignment? Support is going to vary widely from person to person. Some people swear by one type of mattress that others hate and vice versa. The best way to know is to try at least one of each type of mattress (coil, memory, latex) for around 5 minutes each. Lay in the position you usually sleep in and bring your own pillow from home if possible.
6. What type of mattress do you recommend for stomach sleepers? We recommend a firmer mattress for stomach sleepers. If you go too soft your hips could sink in too much which may cause lower back pressure or pain.
When it comes to choosing a soft or firm mattress, it really is a personal choice. Your weight and the way you sleep may have a lot to do with what feels most comfortable. The most important thing is to make sure you have a good alignment when you lay down, this will make all the difference in how well you sleep.
- Jeremiah Stettler